New Reverse Vaccine Brings Hope as a Possible Type 1 Diabetes Treatment

This entry was posted in Research, Type 1 Diabetes Research and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Some exciting news recently came from the biotech world, where TOL-3021 passed phase II trials for safety and effectiveness as a possible future treatment for type 1 diabetes.  TOL-3021, known as a reverse vaccine, was able to help reduce beta cell destruction by halting the onslaught of the body’s own rogue immune system components.

See more coverage of TOL-3021, and Joslin’s Dr. George King’s response, here

Type 1 diabetes is caused by a renegade immune response in which killer T cells (defending white blood cells involved in the immune response) inappropriately sense the beta cells of the pancreas as foreign and attack them. (The beta cells produce and secrete insulin.) The almost complete death of the beta cells requires those with type 1 diabetes to compensate by injecting insulin every day for the rest of their lives. Although insulin is effective in reducing elevated blood glucose levels, people with type 1 need to make a variety of lifestyle modifications to prevent complications.  Until now efforts at slowing or reversing the immune attack have been disappointing.

Most vaccines work by bolstering the immune system so it is better able to fight off attacking infectious bacterial or viral invaders. In autoimmune diseases, the invaders are self-generated.  Reverse vaccines have the opposite aim, to suppress selective components of the immune system that have gone haywire, while not interfering with overall immune function.

As part of the trial, Stanford University researchers gave 80 patients with type 1 diabetes TOL-3021 in four different doses once per week over a 12-week period.   The trial was randomized, placebo-controlled and patients were blinded to their treatment. TOL-3021 contains a DNA plasmid that codes for proinsulin. A plasmid is a small section of DNA that is capable of autonomous replication outside of the chromosome.  Proinsulin is a precursor of insulin that is cleaved enzymatically into C-peptide and insulin before being secreted by the beta cells.  Lack of adequate C-peptide in the circulation is an indication of beta cell failure.

All doses of the drug improved the amount of C-peptide secreted by the pancreas as compared to placebo.  The rise in C-peptide was accompanied by a decline in the number of attacking T-cells targeting the beta cells.  Other immune system constituents were not affected.  Overall, patients tolerated TOL-3021 well without serious complications.

The vaccine is light years away from prime time for patients.  TOL-3021 still has to undergo Phase III trials which involve a substantially larger patient pool . Often complications that did not arise in Phase II due to the small population size of the trials are unveiled in Phase III of drug testing.  In addition, even at this stage there were problems with the staying power of the vaccine. After stopping the vaccine, the amount of C-peptide declined and T-cells levels rose, indicating that its effects wore off with time.

This study was published in the journal of Science Translational Medicine in June 2013.

19 Responses to New Reverse Vaccine Brings Hope as a Possible Type 1 Diabetes Treatment

1. Lindy Hilton says:

Sign me up when publicly available

2. Lula Tiencken says:

I am a type 1 insulin dependent…using a insulin pump

3. I have posted several comments…and I get repeats of saying you need a comment…and I don’t understand this part of what you say to use…I don’t understand computer language.so please explain what you want.

• Hi Lula,
      Whenever you comment, it gets sent to the Joslin Blog administrators for approval. Once we see it and approve it, then it will show up. Sorry for the confusion! You should see your comment up there now.

4. Elizabeth says:

My question is did insulin needs decrease for the pts taking the TOL-3021, just because c-peptide levels increased does not mean function of beta cells is returning, especially when they are being injected with something that has the ability to create c-peptides…

5. kaya says:

My 8 year old god son in Cusco Peru has been diagnosed at the age of 3 with type 1. Does he have a chance with this vaccine ?

6. Charles Ferguson says:

Is this research related to Dr. Faustman’s work at Massachusetts General Hospital-Immunobiology Lab?

7. Is this research related to Dr. Faustman’s work at the Massachusetts General Hospital-Immunobiology Lab?

8. Is this research related to Dr. Faustman’s work at the Massachusetts General Hospital-Immunobiology Lab?
    When do openings start for participation in the next stage of research?

9. Carol Smerling says:

I have more of a question than a comment. Would like to know whether eventually after Phase III this could also be appropriate for long-term (20+ yrs.) Type-I patients or only in patients where the destruction of beta cells is just starting?

• Nora Saul, Manager Nutrition Services says:

Dear Carol Smerling,
      Although in theory it could be possible to use a vaccine of this type for people who had had diabetes a while, it (and remember this is not ready for use now) is better to use it very soon after diagnosis when more of the beta cells are still producing insulin.

10. ebraheem alshammari says:

THANKS
    Joslin

11. Diana L. Hammil says:

I have been insulin dependant for 50 yeas. If yu need atest subject I volunteer. I am the oldest of 10 children all younger than me and all of us have it. Our Mother, her Mother, brothers had it. iI have a terrible time regulating my high sugars.

12. Please if you need test subjects I volunteer. I would be a good one because the whole family of female’s for the last three generations have it.

13. david says:

sign me up when publicity is available. Im looking for a CURE for diabetes, not just a helping hand “mask” like insulin. Im almost willing to try anything to help myself, and more importantly, the future generations upcoming that are at high risk of diabetes. If my contact info is needed, I will gladly hand it over….

14. Priscilla Alexander says:

I am the daughter of a type I diabetic, Eleanor Rogers Alexander, who was diagnosed in 1917, some five years before insulin could be injected. She was the first diabetic to live ten years, as well as the first to successfully carry a pregnancy to birth at 7-1/2 months, and I am the result of that pregnancy.

I was tested annually for diabetes for most of my life, and fortunately never became diabetic. I was always told that it was not an inherited disease. Therefore the last two messages that cite multigeneration diabetes was quite a shock. Since I am now 74 years old, I am not worried about it for me, but it just was a shock.