Camp NYDA Reunion 2013

This entry was posted in d-Tales, Inspiration and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

A photograph from Camp NYDA, taken by one of the reunion organizers

Did you go to Camp NYDA in upstate New York? A group of former campers is getting together details on a camp reunion for the summer of 2013.

Sandy Dettenmayer, one of the organizers, says,

“Our group is multi-generational, representing four decades of former campers/CITs. Even though changes in camp life evolved throughout the years with new camp directors and with advances in diabetes management, many things remained the same.  Camp was life-changing for many of us.  As children, we learned that we were not alone and we felt empowered in dealing with our care.  Besides all the fun that we had with everyday camp activities, we developed a sense of camaraderie, with many of us making lifelong friends.”

The reunion would be open to all former campers/CITs, staff and their families. Interested in attending, want to help plan, or simply want to get in touch with old friends? Connect with other former campers at the Camp NYDA Reunion 2013 Facebook Group!

13 Responses to Camp NYDA Reunion 2013

1. maureen o'rourke says:

attended camp from 1977 thru 1995

2. SUSAN SLOSBERG says:

hi
    When and where is the reunion?
    I attended 1967-1970.
    thanks

3. Sandy Cohen Dettenmayer says:

Thanks so much for the responses and inquires!
    Planning is ongoing for the Camp NYDA Reunion to be held at the Burlingham, NY campgrounds on Saturday June 15th, 2013. We encourage everyone to join our Facebook group ( search Camp NYDA Reunion 2013) for updates or you may contact us by e-mail at 2gcnaa@gmail.com
    We hope to see you there!
    All my best,
    Sandy Cohen Dettenmayer

4. Sandy Cohen Dettenmayer says:

Hi Susan Slosberg!
    So nice to see you here! We were CIT’s together at Camp NYDA in August of 1972. :-) I am still searching for those that were CIT’s with us, so if you are in contact with anyone, please spread the word about our upcoming reunion! Tommy Regan (Shorty) is a member of our facebook Reunion group and I’m sure you remember him and his guitar and drum playing!

5. Charlie says:

Hey there Sandy and Sue!
    Charlie here. Should be a good time. Send details.

6. Sandy says:

Hi Charlie!
    You can find all the details on Facebook, by joining the group Camp NYDA 2013. If you are not a Facebook user, just e-mail the Camp NYDA Alumni Association at 2gcnaa@gmail.com and we’ll fill you in! :)

7. Sandy says:

Charlie: Ooops. That was Camp NYDA Reunion 2013. I must have been “shocky”! lol

8. I want to bookmark this specific post, “Camp NYDA Reunion 2013 | Joslin Diabetes
    Center Blog” on my personal internet site. Will you mind in case I actuallydo it?
    Thx -Charlene

9. fszalu@optimum.net says:

I was in charge of the nurses at Camp NYDA in the 60′s. My name is Fran Szaluta.
    I was Fran Carlin back then.I would love to hear from anyone who was there then. We were nurses from Long Island College Hospital.I AM USING MY DTRS. FACEBOOK. ALI SZALUTA. i WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT THE REUNION.

• Tommy Regan says:

Hi Fran! We’re having a rough time contacting You…Sandy sent You an e-mail but it came back and You don’t seem to have a Facebook Account…I attended NYDA from 62 to 71 as a Camper, 72 as a CIT and finally went back in the early to mid 80s as a Counselor (just couldn’t get enough o’ that Place, lol!)…Feel free to contact Me at: tommyregan23@yahoo.com….You as well Connie Legge….Looking forward to connecting with You both…

10. Connie Legge says:

I was a camper in the 1960.s and spent two summers on the cabin side of the lake and two summers in the bunks. I remember Mr. Sajecki and his daughter Doris (I think) and a man named Mr. James. I wonder what has become of the camp and would like to see it opened again as it made diabetes not such a big deal, you learned to live with it.
    I have had the disease for 55 years now and I get along OK.

• Tommy Regan says:

Hi Connie…Tommy Regan here…I attended Camp NYDA from 1962 to 1971 as a Camper, 1972 as a C.I.T. and finally a Counselor in 1983 to 1986…Have I got some REALLY great Groups for You to look into on Facebook, My Friend….Contact Me at: tommyregan23@yahoo.com or look for Me on Facebook as Tommy Regan…Hope to hear from You :)