Why Does Fat Increase Blood Glucose?

This entry was posted in Healthy Eating, Nutrition Tips and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Has this ever happened to you?

— You eat a meal such as fettuccine alfredo with garlic bread and tiramisu for dessert.

— You take either the appropriate amount of insulin for the carbohydrate in the meal or your oral medications.

— You check 2 to 3 hours after eating and see a blood glucose reading that is in range.

So far, so good, right?

—Then you wake up the next morning with a very high number?

Ever wondered what causes this?

There are two reasons.

First, Fettuccine Alfredo, garlic bread and tiramisu are, for the most part, a mixture of carbohydrate and fat.  But it’s the fat in the meal that is contributing to the elevated readings.

Although carbohydrate is the nutrient that has the most immediate affect on blood glucose levels, fat is not glucose neutral. But only a small portion of the triglyceride (fat) molecule, called the glycerol backbone, can be used as glucose.  This very small addition to the glucose pool can’t be the source of your high blood glucose readings.  So if fat doesn’t directly raise blood glucose, what is it doing?

For many years scientists thought that fat was a metabolically inert substance.  Fat on the body was considered dead weight, just extra blubber people carted around. Well it turns out that fat has been masquerading as the quiet shy guy in the back row, all the while packing a considerable metabolic punch.

A high fat meal can increase the amount of free fatty acids (FFAs) in the blood.   Both repeatedly elevated levels of FFAs as found in chronic intake of high fat (especially high saturated fat) meals and obesity are associated with both skeletal muscle and liver insulin resistance.

That resistance means that it will take more insulin—either made by your pancreas or from an injection—to move the glucose in the blood stream into the cells.  There is also evidence that FFAs may have a direct role in reducing the amount of insulin secreted by the beta cells in the pancreas, although an exam mechanism for this role is unknown.

Second, fat also changes the timing of the rise in blood glucose after a meal.

Unlike carbohydrate, which is digested fairly quickly, fat takes a long time to move through the gastrointestinal tract. It can take 4 to 6 hours and sometimes even longer to be fully metabolized. This can be a problem for someone taking insulin.

Fast acting insulins such as Novolog, Humalog or Apridra are active in the body for 3 to 4 hours. When you eat a high fat meal, the insulin may start working before a significant amount of glucose reaches the blood.  The insulin often is finished working before the rest of the glucose makes an appearance.

That is why blood glucose numbers can look in range 2 hours post eating a high fat meal and look significantly above goal 5 hours later.

The Bottom Line:

• An occasional fatty meal is fine, but eating large amounts, for example, a meal containing 40 or more grams of fat, especially if the fat is saturated (found in animal meats, etc.), can make it harder to control blood glucose levels.
  • You may have to alter the amount and timing of your insulin if you eat high fat meals.
  • For those people taking oral medications, doing some type of physical activity—for example, walking—after a high fat meal can help lower blood glucose.

For more information about diabetes and nutrition, check out our library of articles on the Joslin Diabetes Center web site (www.joslin.org).

59 Responses to Why Does Fat Increase Blood Glucose?

1. Dorothy Farrell says:

What about the oil in salad dressing? Too many carbs? I am new to this carb counting and wanted to switch from 1000 island dressing to oil and vinegar. Any suggestions, please?

• joslin reply says:

Dear Ms. Farrell:
      Oil and vinegar is a good choice. As long as you are using reasonable amounts of salad dressing, a serving is 2 tablespoons, the amount of fat is not a problem. It is only very high fat meals that cause delays in gastric emptying and insulin resistance.

2. Cristina (Spain) says:

Hi,
    With regard to the second reason, I have never noticed that in my son. What I ‘ve noticed is that is the meal is really fatty and includes proteins as well, which doesn’t happen too often, the glucose level after the meal is low. I usually give him more carbs and then hyperglycemia happens. I think now I understand the reason:
    As not all the glucose from the meal has been absorbed by the small intestine by the time the insuline has finished working, hypoglycemia happens because we set a certain amount of Humalog for a higher number of carbs. Then after a while, the extra carbs I give him are added to the previous glucose from the food and as there are not more insuline in the blood, hyperglycemia happens.

If I’m right (not sure), what can I do to avoid that?
    He injects insuline (humalog) with a pen, so timing is not so easy to change as is if he used an insuline pump and neither is the amount of insuline because it affects the hypo/hyperglycemia post meal. The only thing I can think about is avoid such unhealthy meals that luckily only occur in ceremonies and parties. But if you have any other suggestions, I’ de be grateful for them.

3. Emm says:

I was accidentally led to this link from a Paleo website (I eat a Paleo diet). WHY ON EARTH if you have diabetes would you EVER EAT PASTA? Seriously? Bread, pasta, grains, any starches are just KILLING YOU. Please go on over to the Paleo sites and see how it can cure diabetes. I can’t believe an organization or blog that claims to support diabetics would ever say, “it’s okay, honey, eat your carbs and sugar and just take your insulin.” That’s not doing anyone any favors. There is a cure, there is a solution. Search for ‘paleo’.

• joslin reply says:

Dear Emm,
      Whole grains and many other starches such as legumes when eaten in appropriate amounts are part of a healthful diet and can be included in the diet of those with diabetes.

• Doris J Dickson says:

Come on guys … you know darn well pasta is a big pain in the butt and is virtually impossible to safely dose for. There is NO insulin that matches up well to pasta. Fat or no fat, pasta takes a good five hours to completely digest and usually results in initial lows followed by highs later.. If you want a normalized blood sugar (85), pasta is not defined as healthful! It’s “easier” to eat a bowl of icecream!

• Kay says:

NOPE!
        Check out the website dsolve.com
        Check out Dr. Richard Bernstein, the man who pioneered self monitoring of blood sugars and microadjustments.
        Of the 6 nutrients for the human body, carbohydrates are the only ones NOT essential (necessary for life).

• Peter says:

Grains and legumes of all kinds are best left out of the Diabetic’s diet! I am a 28 year Veteran of Type 2 and until I moved carbs out of my diet I would lose weight, work out and take my meds as prescribed! I followed the so called CDA Pyramid food guide and as the years went by my meds continued to increase over time until they maxed out and recently (July 2015) I was prescribed Levemir (synthetic insulin) and like a lamb to slaughter I was getting fatter with each injection. Finally I started to do enough research that I moved my diet to LCHF (I eat 20 g of carbs or less daily) and split the other 80% between Fat and Protein. I was able to toss the Levemir after 30 days and was able to cut back entirely from 2,000 mg of Metformin daily and 120 mg of Diamicrom (Gliclazide) daily. My Canadian levels were showing between 5.2 and 8.1 via a healthy LCHF diet. I have lost 50 pounds in the past 3 months and I intend on losing another 81 pounds this year so I can finally weigh in under 200 pounds. My question is I now notice that if I eat a meal too high in Fat my post meal Glucose reading are running between 8.0 and 10.0 long after my body would have dealt with eliminating the Glucose in my bloodstream. I do not want to increase carbs as this is the ONLY diet I have ever been on that I never feel hungry like I always did when I was eating a 40/40/20 (40 g of carbs daily). I am noticing my Glucose levels have been running 7.0 to 10.0 of late and I am thinking it is from the Glycerol levels. I have reintroduced a small amount of Metformin 500 mg and Diamicrom 30 mg daily and it seems to be keeping my levels between 5.0 and 7.0. I am going to adjust my diet to 40/40 (fat and protein) and just maybe after another 20 pounds off or so I will wave goodbye to Diabetic meds and Diabetes itself. I for one was unaware Fat could have the effect that it does on Glucose levels. Also I am with Emm why on earth are the CDA and ADA still after all these years recommending a balanced diet high in carbs. There is not one piece of scientific data that shows a diet high in any type of carbs is good for the Diabetic. Time these organizations realized the truth about what is going on and start to help people instead of just moving them along on meds leading to an early death!

• David says:

Go lower protein, like .7g – 1g per pound of bodyweight. I know this is a mad old post but this statement need stating. Excess protein in the diet gets turned into glucose in the blood. If you want to keep blood sugars low eat fat:protein:carbs – 75:20:5or even less with the carbs. Make the most of your carbs by eating vegetables. Mind the carbs in the veggies, you can google their nutritional content to gauge the macronutrient content and keep yourself in check. HIGH FAT LOW CARB. google primal, ketogenic diet, keto, ketosis is not ketoacidosis. Dont be afraid. Be informed. Love people. Be happy. Be healthy.

• E Anderson says:

Thank you so much for your response. I couldn’t agree more.

• Douglas D says:

Emm- Those of us with type 1 diabetes cannot be cured. I have tried the Paleo diet for over a year and I still require insulin. Please do your research before you make comments like this. Thank you.

• Peter says:

Have you tried the LCHF Diet it is like Paleo on steroids. However since I see you are Type 1 does that not mean you are insulin dependent for life???

• Doris J Dickson says:

You lost your credibility when you used the word “cure” relative to type 1 diabetes!. Paleo is low carb and thus makes type 1 much easier to manage but it’s hardly a cure of an autoimmune-based disease.

• Catherine says:

It’s truly kind that you care & are sincere in your post; however, there is no cure for diabetes & posting such a statement is false – & inadvertently cruel. You should understand the context & subject matter before making such a post. .Ignorant statements can give newly diagnosed & those unfamiliar with diabetes false hope.

• Dreemuk says:

There is a cure for type II diabetes. The Paleo diet or raw food vegan diet has been known to completely cure Type II diabetes. I understand Type I cannot be cured. I think the poster giving advice on Paleo was referring to Type II i.e. the adult onset type.

• jane morrissey says:

i am intersted in paleo diet however the fat content is higher i do not eat white flour or cook with it,neither do consume white potatoes since i have read it turns to sugar in your system also interested in what grains are recommended? love winter wheat berry but don’t know effect HELP

• Kay says:

The Protein Power Lifeplan by Dr. Eades.
            Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard Bernstein.
            dsolve.com website
            nmsociety.org
            thincs.org
            Dr. Enig and Sally Fallon on fats.
            And all that’s for starters! The truth is out there, but it’s not with carbs and anti-fatters.

• Luke says:

Check out Dr. McDougall-The Starch Solution, and Dr. Neal Barnard’s reversing type 2 diabetes-both great!

• Kay says:

I think you’re right (comment referring to T2)!
          I’m a type 1, didn’t take offense to her advice.

• Kay says:

Advice from ADA and JDF can be just as detrimental!
        (I speak from experience, T1 for 39 years, T1 brother, now dead from bad med. advice, 2 T2 brothers, 2 T2 parents, both dead from bad med advice.)

• Peter says:

This is 2016 and there are tons of Scientific data proving LCHF can cure especially newly diagnosed Type 2 Diabetics. The body is an amazing instrument and in most cases of Type 2 it is diet that got us into this mess and I see no reason why diet can’t get you out. I believe the secret is changeup quickly once Type 2 is discovered. Carbs in the long run are a Diabetics worse enemy I realize that the body must have Carbs to survive but not quite as many as our Doctors or Diabetics food guides are telling us. First thing is cut anything white (flour, sugar, rice, pasta) limit your fruit to Berries (blueberries, strawberries and raspberries) eat only Dairy that is full fat as long as your body can tolerate dairy. Eat NOTHING that says Low Fat, No Fat or Reduced Fat! Protein and Fat are a Diabetics Best Friend and until you realize this you are only going to fall into what I call the Diabetic abyss! Your meds will increase over time until such time they have to add insulin until such time you are dead! The Canadian and American food guide has been around since the 1940’s and it was NEVER based on one piece of scientific data yet we continue to follow it like fools and what has it gotten us! I tell you what a 30% Type 2 Diabetes rate affect now children as young as 12. Projected rate of Diabetes on this Continent 60% by the year 2025! Who are you kidding thinking that Emm is wrong in his diet choice. The only issue emm has is he is Type 1 and therefore DIET alone will not help him (will only keep him from getting fat on insulin). Diet got us into Type 2 pandemic and I am telling you Diet will lead us out of the pandemic. The only problem is 80% of the population are looking for the magic pill and are unwilling to give up the necessary carbs to rid themselves of this nasty disease. For those that do a quiet smile is all they need show!

• David says:

Carbs are actually not essential. Protein is converted into glucose in the system. Organ meat contains lots of vitamins and minerals. But even 20-40 grams of carb allowance creates room for adequate vegetables for some prebiotic and phytonutrients. Good healthy fats. Grass fed and pastured animal foods provide very healthy fat profiles. Organic veggies when available. Carbs turn to glucose which triggers insulin which stores fat. using fat for primary energy intake (good) instead of carbs allows your body to start releasing your own bodyfat stores for energy as well, thereby eating fat encourages weight loss. Fat is delivious and healthy. Check it out and try it. I did and i am a success story so far.

• Kay says:

Thanks for speaking the truth!! Type 1 here, been very low carb since 2009. What a difference that made in my life!

Telling diabetics it’s okay to eat carbs should qualify for malpractice!

A fatty meal is not a problem if no carbs are involved. I eat 2 eggs, 2 slices of cheese, and 2 slices of ham for breakfast, and I have NO rollercoaster BG issues. That breakfast keeps me going at least 5 hours. And, no, I do not have high cholesterol or high triglycerides. Cholesterol is not bad for you and high Tri’s come from TOO MANY CARBS!

4. Olive oil (Extra virgin cold pressed) is the healthiest oil around and consuming most of the fat in your diet in the form of mono-unsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) can improve insultin sensitivity, unlike saturated fat which increases insulin resistance. However, do mix the oil with vinegar and keep the total amount of fat in a meal and per day controlled, like Maryke also said. Also get familiar with the GI (glycemic index). Low GI carbs are digested much slower than high GI carbs and therefore low GI carbs require less insulin, which is also better for weight loss, blood pressure, etc.

• Kay says:

Only if you’re not heating the olive oil.
      Coconut oil is healthier.

• Peter says:

Any cold pressed oil is fine and regardless of it being unsaturated like Olive Oil or saturated like Coconut oil these are the good fats and will harm you in no way. Even good grade BUTTER (saturated) is good for Type 2. Some of the better cold pressed oils are Hemp Oil, Avocado Oil, Walnut Oil and Flax Oil. Your best bet if you are Type 2 Diabetic is to reduce your Carbs and increase your fats through good essential oils. And while you are at it toss your fruit too!

5. joslin reply says:

Dear Cristina:
    Splitting the insulin into two injections: one before the meal and one after the meal for this type of situation is used for adults. You may want to discuss this with your pediatriician or endocrinologist.

• Doris J Dickson says:

Some of us having been using that technique for years. It’s still a russian roulette game. You can also use Regular insulin in addition to the rapid acting but pasta is still a big pain in the unrepeatable butt!

Consider mentioning the alternative many type 1s are using – spaghetti squash.

6. Cristina (Spain) says:

Thank you very much. I’ll ask her for sure. I think it’s really important to try new things when the ones you know don’t work. I find this blog very useful with very accurate and detailed information (something I’m always looking for) and it’s very kind of you to answer all our questions. After some months reading your blog, I understand why my pediatrician who is specialized in child diabetes is always encouraging my son to go to a summer camp at Joslin!

7. Pingback: Insulin Pumps – Get Better Control, Get Your Life Back! | Symptoms Of Diabetes

8. Pingback: Looking for TYPE 1 Diabetes? Here's TYPE 1 Diabetes info for you! | Diabetes Food Recipes

9. Jane says:

A real problem for me after occasionally eating out in the evening. Fine after the meal and then in the morning my blood sugars are high. If I injected humalog before bed, I would be worried I might go low at night. I don’t know how to correct for this. It makes me dread going out to eat and results in me avoiding certain events.

• joslin reply says:

Dear Jane,
      The issue you describe is often associated with high fat meals. Some adults handle this by splitting the dose of insulin they take in two if using injections (some insulin before the meal and the rest anywhere from an hour to three hours after the meal) or using a form of extended bolus if they are on a pump. If you are worried about low blood glucose reactions during the night setting a higher overnight goal glucose level or having a looser correction factor may be appropriate. I would suggest discussing this with your health care provider.

10. Barbara says:

My child has T1. We try very hard to manage food intake and food quality. The input from nutritionists has been helpful in theory but not in practice. We read food labels like bibles but even this makes BG mgmt seem nearly impossible. There are 4-5 food groups (glycemic indices aside for the moment): Fruit/Veg = Carb; Grains = Carb; Dairy = protein, fat, carb; Meat = protein, fat; Nuts = fat. For many reasons it is clear and obvious that whole grains, low index, and low fat, (and low saturated fat) diets are the best way to go. And yet, this sort of diet is ever more expensive, hard to access if one does not have transportation, and entirely impossible in all school systems.
    My child is actually thin and tries hard to gain weight. Carbs are kept low because chasing BGs gets so very tiresome, and attempts at increase protein consumption are more complicated than counting carbs. So far not much has worked, for BG control or weight gain.
    It is great to see this post with at least some level of biochemistry in the message so that greater understanding is possible but this knowledge does not easily transfer into day to day life on a small budget.
    QUESTION: how to gain weight while controlling BGs and eating health foods?
    Anyone ???

• Mike Mango says:

The mixture of carb counting and humolog injections is the best formula to eat what you want and get to normal blood sugars. If he is evaluated to inject one unit of humolog for 10 grams of carbs and he has a blood sugar of 110 then he would need 8 units of humolog to offset a 80 gram bowl of pasta. The other part of this table is the correction scale which would be if his blood sugar was high and he wanted the same bowl of pasta. I inject 1 humolog for every 50 blood sugar reading starting at 50 so if I was 165 I would be adding 3 units to this inject on top of what I was going to eat. This formula gives you the freedom to do what you want and eat what you want as long as you offset it with an insulin injection of humolog.

Mike Mango
      Cranston, RI

• Kay says:

80 grams of carbs?? Good heavens! That would kill me! The more carbs you eat the harder it is to compensate with insulin. It’s a very unpredictable game. Dr. Bernstein says taking more than 7 U of insulin causes resistance; a full stomach causes insulin resistance.
        I encourage you to check out the low carb lifestyle. Protein Power Lifeplan, Dr. Eades; Diabetes Solution, Dr. Richard Bernstein; dsolve.com; nmsociety.org; and for good measure thincs.org and spacedoc.com.

No more rollercoasters!

11. Mike Mango says:

After 40 years of dealing with this I have accidently fallen onto the fix that has me getting to normal blood sugars. When my doctor changed me from NPH to Levomir 18 months ago after I have been using it since 1970 I sat down this summer where I pour at least a 1/2 cup of extra virgin oil over my salad thinking. Can I get the long term benefits of Levomir mixed with the spike of NPH to work together to off set this “oil” problem with blood sugar in the morning? I experimented with a 70%(normal long range insulin commitment) dose of evening Levomir and a 50%(of my normal long range insulin commitment) dose of NPH. The Humolog was measured as it would for any meal. NPH seamed to act in this case as a “long range” Humolog and when the NPH fizzled out as I was sleeping the Levomir held it’s ground and continued to support long range control. It is my own experiment that works perfect for me and I am not sure the medical community would approve on the mixture of two long range insulins but this is my way of dealing with this to attain 90 blood sugar readings in the morning when overdoing the extra virgin oil exploitation amounts.
    Mike Mango
    Cranston, RI

12. Pingback: Type 2 Diabetes And Its Health Complications | Diabetic Diet Solutions

13. Pingback: Questions You Have About Type 1 Diabetes Diet Guidelines |

14. Anon says:

Im sorry but this is a load of junk. Carbs are the enemy, not fats. Example, I went on a ketosis (protein and fats only) diet for 6 months. I lost over 60lbs in that time frame. I was eating up to 2lbs of meat a day from sausage, chicken, beef… et. Agriculture has created an environment where nearly every store product is stuffed with gluten containing wheat or other crops. Soy causing estrogen issues in men, gynecomastia. Im sorry but Agriculture is unnatural. Human civilization is unnatural. The further you get away from hunter/gatherer, the more issues you will have. We were meant to hunt our food and scavage for it, not sit for 10 hrs a day at jobs to make money to pay for the food. Back to basics.

15. Bill Streeter says:

Oddly my blood sugar is best when I eat fatty foods and eat no carbohydrate. Even hours after a meal my BG levels are very stable. Last night I had a fatty steak cooked in butter, with some broccoli on the side. Two hours after the meal my BG was 108, the next morning it was 91. Seems like a lot of people are discovering that fat has almost zero effect on blood sugar. I’ve been eating like this since I was diagnosed with type 2 and all my blood panels have improved dramatically and not just blood sugar but my HDL and LDL numbers are great too.

• Jami says:

I am so lost with this. I have type 1.5 LADA.–diagnosed 10/2013. Using low dose of 24 hour insulin, and am either too high in the am, or constantly hitting lows. When you wake in the am with a range of 35-49 it is scary, so I am working on the perfect pm snack, and some days I get it right but most not. It’s a ping pong game. I can’t figure the fat part out. Cheese I thought with my friend, but now that is not holding true when I put it into my evening snack on a low carb tortilla. I am hungry all the time. Any suggestion. Thanks guys.

• Thanks for your question. Due to the medical nature of your question, we recommend you post it on the Joslin Discussion Boards, monitored by Joslin health care providers and educators, which you can find here: http://forums.joslin.org/

• Kay says:

Try reading Protein Power Lifeplan by Dr. Eades.
        Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard Bernstein (a diabetic himself, now in his 80’s, pioneered selfmonitoring of BG).
        dsolve.com website.
        Get away from carbs! no transfats, but olive oil, coconut oil, non-pork animal fats are good. See info by Dr. Enig, Sally Fallon.

• Kay says:

woohoo! Me too!

16. Bill Streeter says:

Also one more thing: a high fasting number in the morning is more likely due to the well documented Dawn phenomenon, which is a natural hormonal response most people have in the morning. Or the Somogyi effect which is just caused by poor BG management. It seems unlikely that dietary fat would cause this.

17. Yana van Maarseveen says:

Could you please tell me what research you based this article on? I’m very interested in this subject and it would be very helpful to know where this information came from. Thank you in advance.

18. J.Ryan RN CDE says:

Actually, you’re both right and wrong. Neither carbs or fats are the enemy. There are simply different approaches to managing diabetes. The original post is discussing how fat will effect carbohydrate metabolism in a carbohydrate based diet. Many of us know that you can approach diabetes management through lowered or restricted carbohydrate diets, in which case, these molecules behave and are metabolized very differently. There is no “cure” for either type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Type 2’s do have the option, however, of being “diet and exercise controlled”. With my patients, I let them determine which lifestyle approach best suits them (carbs or fats but not both) and then work with them to form a plan for optimum management. These articles are somewhat misleading in that they assume a carbohydrate based diet. We forget that humans weren’t designed for this way of eating. Nature provides carbs for a few months in the summer time; specifically to cause a rise in insulin levels which triggers the body to store fats (for winter).

19. Rose Ferngren says:

am a type 2 diabetic, 71 years of age, see my endocrinologist every 3 months- 2weeks ago AIC 7.6 (that’s all he is concerned about) even though morning sugars are high sometimes 200 after breakfast lately can be as high as 367, scary to me. I take Glimerperide 2mg before breakfast and 15 units lantus solostar at bedtime. Have had a 25 lb weight gain this winter, so is there any site I can go to for guidance in controlling my morning highs and after meal highs. My triglycerides from bt 2 weeks ago came back 277, while hdl and ldl fine, heart doc said its from my high sugars.

20. Dana says:

The fat is not causing the elevated readings. All it did was delay the elevated readings showing up. The simple fact is you’re eating too many carbs. It is WRONG to tell diabetes patients to eat as much carb as they want as long as they follow it with drugs or insulin. But that’s basically what you’re doing. Diabetes is a disease of glucose metabolism, not fat metabolism. The problems with processing the glucose are what cause the demented relationship with fat, both bodily and dietary. Replace the starch and sugar carbs in your diet with non-starchy veggies, low-sugar fruits and a reasonable portion of nuts (maybe a couple handfuls a day, tops) and watch your blood sugar situation turn around, with no more huge morning spikes.

Duh.

• Greg says:

You’re wrong. What is described in. The article is what is happening. Eat a zero carb high fat, moderate protein meal and this blood sugar spike around 6 hours later still happens. That’s if you’re diabetic, which I am (T1) and this happens whenever I eat high fat meal, whether inclusive of. carbs or not. Its easy to figure it out. For your eveing meal eat nothing but fat, coconut oil, lard, butter, whatever. Eat over 40 grams, no carb no protein, no insulin other than background. Test blood sugar about 6 – 7 hours later. It rises. Why is that? Where’s the glucose?
      Oh yeah. Duh.

21. Alita says:

I find it interesting that nobody here has mentioned the importance of exercise, sunlight and adequate sleep in regulating insulin levels, as well as HOW the food is prepared. I understand many of you like your meat, but the fact is fibre- and vitamin C-rich foods are much better blood sugar stabilisers than animal sinew, though understandably not as popular.

22. Pingback: Top 10 Health Benefits of Pumpkin

23. juan carlos says:

Blood Sugar Converter, Quick tool to convert units of blood sugar how mmol/l, mg%, mg/dl

24. lisa rogers says:

What the hell palolians! I have followed high fat low carb medium protein for over a year, and there are some benefits, but my weight has NOT got down, even with ‘intermittent fasting’ and I always knew something was not quite right, eating all this ‘good’ fat and restricting veg and fruit because of their carb content. Imagine we are in the dark ages wandering around in loin cloths etc, we would have to be slaughtering animals left right and centre to feed our ‘protein’ needs and need industrial farms to cater to dairy consumption. It just didn’t happen. PLANTS were freely available, with the occasional high day feast day with meat etc. That’s what we need now, and there is protein in plants! Human breast milk is only 5% protein!! A baked potato is 5% protein and full of energy giving carbohydrates. For God’s sake – read McDougall’s ‘Starch Solution’ and the Mcdougall programme for Maximum weight loss, and make your own mind up. I eat High natural carb, low fat, low protein with the occasional bit of coconut milk on my steel cut oats and avocado thrown onto my salad and piles of life giving veggies. Have you seen the advert ‘You, on a good day’ ? That’s me every day.

25. Atis says:

This is complete bullshit about fat. Fat may be leads to more body weight, but it doesn’t increase blood sugar level, actually the opposite.