Now Available: Joslin Pregnancy and Diabetes Book

This entry was posted in Inside Joslin, Programs and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

As recently as 25 years ago, women with diabetes were told to abandon any hopes of having children. It was considered just too risky for both the mother and her baby.

But today, thanks in no small part to the work of clinicians at the Joslin Diabetes Center (led for many years by Priscilla White, MD, one of the founding members of the Joslin Clinic), dramatic strides have been made to improve the chances of expectant mothers with diabetes and their babies. For a woman who manages her diabetes carefully during pregnancy and has no complications, the outlook today for a successful outcome is 97%–an all time high.

Now, Joslin Diabetes Center is pleased to announce the publication of Staying Healthy with Diabetes — Planning and Managing Your Pregnancy written by Suzanne Ghiloni, RN, BSN, CDE and the staff of Joslin Diabetes Center– reviewed and edited by Florence M. Brown M.D, both part of the Pregnancy Program at Joslin Diabetes Center, a collaborative effort of the Joslin Clinic medical staff and the high-risk maternal-fetal medicine specialists at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

Staying Healthy with Diabetes — Planning and Managing Your Pregnancy provides comprehensive information for women with diabetes who want to have a baby or who are already pregnant. It also addresses gestational diabetes, which is a form of diabetes that develops during pregnancy.

The book explains the effects of pregnancy on diabetes and of diabetes on pregnancy, how preconception planning can reduce risks to the mother and baby, as well as what one needs to know about glucose management, nutrition and exercise in order to have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby. Labor, delivery and postpartum care are also discussed.\

Staying Healthy with Diabetes — Planning and Managing Your Pregnancy is ideal for anyone looking for accessible information on pregnancy and diabetes. Maybe you or your loved one has diabetes and wants to plan for a baby or maybe you have diabetes and are already pregnant and want to know what to do. This book is also a great resource for the estimated 135,000 women in the United States who each year develop gestational diabetes.

To purchase “Staying Healthy With Diabetes: Planning & Managing Your Pregnancy” visit https://www.joslin.org/jstore/Planning-and-Managing-Your-Pregnancy-with-Diabetes.html

23 Responses to Now Available: Joslin Pregnancy and Diabetes Book

1. Anne says:

does this include info on type 1 diabetes or is it focused more on gestational and type 2?

2. Ereata Benson says:

I am a diabetic woman and turned 8months pregnant today. May I ask what are type 1 and type 2 diabetes? Can someone explain more on these with the related risks that can cause to both the mother and the baby? and what should I do to avoid these??

• Nora (one of the Joslin Dietititans) says:

Dear Ms. Benson,
      Type 1 diabetes occurs when the body’s own immune system starts attacking the beta cells in the pancreas that supply insulin. When you have type 1 you will need insulin for the rest of your life. Type 2 diabetes has a strong genetic and environmental component. Many people get type 2 when they have a family history and also gain weight and become sedentary. If not controlled, both of these types of diabetes can cause problems for the growing fetus. Gestational diabetes is the type of diabetes that starts in pregnancy. Usually when the pregnancy ends, so does the diabetes, although people with gestational diabetes are at higher risk for type 2 diabetes later in life. In this type of diabetes, along with the other two, keeping your glucose levels in good control is the most important thing you can do to avoid complications for your baby.

3. Pingback: Mayo Clinic Essential Diabetes Book | Diabetic Diet Solutions

4. Cynthia says:

I have been diabetic(type 1)for 25 years. My last A1c was 8.4. Just found out I’m pregnant and I am so scared. I don’t know what to do bc I really want a child but I want him/her to be healthy. Can anyone give me some advice?

• Nora (one of the Joslin Dietititans) says:

Dear Cynthia,
      It is important for you to speak with an ostretrician who is familar with treating patients with diabetes as soon as possible . Getting your blood glucose in control will help you have a healthy pregnancy for you and your unborn child.

5. sapna says:

i am 34 year old and i am pargent for last 45 days & i am diabetic for last 1 year what can i do for my health & my baby health please write us its safe for me or my child,there will be any problem,

6. Actos says:

Hi Joslin,

Thanks for the recommendation. I know how difficult pregnancy can be when you have to also focus on your levels – especially with all of the complications associated with pregnancy in the first place!

I’ll definitely check this book out but everyone should, of course, be speaking to their doctors regularly.

Thanks again.

7. i am a man my age 26 i plan for baby i am daibetec so what is risk for my baby

8. Nora (one of the Joslin Dietititans) says:

Dear Mr. Kumar:
    The risk for a child developing diabetes when the father has type 1 diabetes is approximattely 10 percent.

9. Tim says:

My wife and I just found out we’re pargent we’ve had two miscarriages last year. So you can see how scared we are. She just got her H1 level (I believe thats what it is) it was at 5 which she was told was good. She also takes glibiride, because he fasting sometimes are 50-70 or she will awake in the middle of the night with low levels, she was told to take the glibiride with her dinner and a bit later. this morning her fasting was 110 and she ate 2 eggs and tested and it was 220. It hasn’t ever been that high.

My wife watches her levels very closely she tests 6-7 times a day. What would you do in this case and what schedules would you use if you had to give to a patiant.

We really want a child and don’t think we can go through another miscarriage again

• From Nora (one of the Joslin Dietitians)

Dear Tim,
      An A1C of 5.0 percent is excellent and it is great that your wife checks so often. I am inferring from your note that your wife has type 2 diabetes and is treated with glyburide.
      At the Joslin, insulin is used for pregnant women who need medications to control their glucose levels. However, other practices do use oral agents.
      It is just as important that your wife not have repeated low blood sugar reactions as it is that she not have high glucose levels. As you know diet and exercise have a serious impact on glucose readings. You may want to ask her obstetrician to recommend a diabetes educator and dietitian who can help your wife develop a meal plan that will control her glucose levels while also providing adequate nourishment for her and the baby.
      Best wishes

10. Nora@joslin (one of the dietitians) says:

Dear Tim,
    Best wishes

11. Seini leona says:

I am 30 weeks pregnant nd I just found out I am diabetic and this is my 2nd child,my first child was normal,I just wanted to know what sort of food I can eat during this time..I have never experience these sort of things in life…

• Nora Saul, Manager Nutrition Services says:

Dear Seini leona,
      You can eat all the same foods you ate before you were identified with gestational diabetes. The difference is you need to limit the total amount of carbohdyrate foods you eat at any one meal. The best thing to do is to ask your physician for a referral to a registered dietitian.

12. gadhavi dhirajben says:

I AM 33 YRSOLD NOW I PREGNANT 7 MONTH RUNNING . I FOUND DIABETES 172 TO269 SO WHAT CAN I DO FOR ME AND MY BABY PLEASE INFO URGENT

• Nora Saul Nutrition Manager at Joslin says:

Hello:
      The best thing you can do is to make an appointment with your health care provider as soon as possible. He/she will determine the best course of action for you to take. In the meantime, eat regularly and try to avoid “sugary foods such as juice, soda and desserts”.

13. CYNTHIA says:

I AM 35 WEEKS PREGNANT AND DO NOT HAVE A DIABETES BUT NOW I AM HAVING A BLURRED VISION DO YOU THINK I AM HAVING DIABETES? OR IS IT NORMAL FOR PREGNAMT WOMAN

• Nora Saul Nutrition Manager at Joslin says:

Dear Cynthia,
      Blurred vision can have many causes; it is best to have it evaluated by your health care provider.

14. emma says:

i will love to no good

15. anjana singh says:

I have been type 1 diabetic since 10yrs ,now i m 27 yrs f .
    i m planning to get married in two months ,wat wuld be the chances of diebaties in my baby if i plan ,my husband has gd health

• Nora Saul, Nutrition Manager says:

Dear Ms. Singh:
      There is a 1 in 100 chance that your child will have type 1 diabetes if a woman with type 1 is, at the time of pregnancy, 25 years of age or older. The chance is 1 in 25 if she is less than 25. As you are 27 the first statistic applies.