November is National Diabetes Awareness Month. All over the U.S., people with diabetes and the people who care for them are gearing up to promote diabetes awareness and advocate for more support for diabetes research. The buzz within the diabetes community has already started and we are all looking forward to the added attention to a cause that is obviously very near and dear to all of our hearts.
For Joslin Diabetes Center, November is highlighted by two major events:
- World Diabetes Day: November 14
- Each November 14 is celebrated by the global diabetes community to mark the birthday of Frederick Banting who, along with Charles Best, discovered insulin in 1922. The global campaign promotes general diabetes education and prevention.
- Click here for more information on World Diabetes Day: http://www.worlddiabetesday.org
- High Hopes Gala: November 20
- The High Hopes Gala celebrates and honors caregivers and patients, researchers and donors who all help position Joslin as the best hope in the fight against diabetes. This event benefits Joslin’s High Hopes Fund which generates critical support for Joslin’s clinical, research and educational programs.
- Click here for more information on the gala: http://www.highhopesgala.com/about.htm
- For those of you who like cars, one of the highlights of this year’s Gala is a raffle for a Limited 45th Anniversary Edition Iacocca Mustang donated by the The Iacocca Foundation. The care is valued at $90,000–you can buy a raffle ticket for $100 at http://www.joslin.org/iacocca.
The blue circle is the official logo of World Diabetes Day. We are asking each of our faithful blog readers to consider donating to Joslin or to promote World Diabetes Day by adding a blue circle to their Facebook or Twitter profile picture this month. We have shared a simple tool to add the logo to your picture on our Facebook page.